Vocabulary Strategies with Oliver Poons
- Look for context clues in words, phrases, and sentences surrounding the unfamiliar word
- Try to break the word into parts (root word, prefix, and suffix) and put the meanings of the word parts together
- Guess the word’s meaning
- See if your guess makes sense in the sentence
- Look up the definition to confirm your guess
Ways to use the workbook to teach vocabulary:
- p. 8-33 Letter Recognition / Worksheets include Fry words (sight words)
- p. 34 Story Vocabulary: Worksheet can be used as an assessment to see if student can read the words or to find which words are in Oliver Poons and the Bright Yellow Hat
- Ages: Preschool, Kindergarten, Grade 1, Grade 2
*This workbook is made for use with the children’s book, Oliver Poons and the Bright Yellow Hat.
Lesson Plan Activity:
Talk about and distinguish shades of meaning between words in Oliver Poons and the Bright Yellow Hat.
Example 1: say, told, clacked, shout, tell
Example 2: looked, gazed
Ask students: Why do you think he author used these different words at different times?