Teach writing with Oliver Poons & friends!
Oliver Poons and the Bright Yellow Hat worksheets and activities were designed for differentiated instruction in writing. We’ve included everything from handwriting practice to journal writing to opinion prompts to satisfy elementary curriculum, and to provide teachers with a variety of assignments to meet different learning needs.
Our workbook includes the following writing activities:
- p. 8-33: Alphabet Recognition, Letter Formation, and Handwriting Practice with Fry words
- p. 45-91: Who, What, Where, When, Why, How Question Prompts
- p. 99-101: Letters to Characters
- p. 103-106: Fun Cat Facts and Fun Turtle Facts can be used for informational writing
- Ages: Preschool, Kindergarten, Grade 1, Grade 2
*This workbook is made for use with the children’s book, Oliver Poons and the Bright Yellow Hat.
Lesson Plans & Modifications
- The Practice Writing the Alphabet worksheets (p. 8-33) can be used for letter identification, letter formation, handwriting practice, writing Fry words, or sentence writing.
- The Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How Question Prompts (p. 45-91) can be used as writing prompts and for pre/post assessment. A wide variety of writing prompts are included. Each section lists the prompts for the teacher and then a separate, ready-to-copy student page follows. The prompts can be easily differentiated with different prompts given to students based on instructional need and ability. For students with limited writing skills, the prompts can be cut off and pasted on drawing paper. Students can draw their response and write a sentence about their picture or tell what they drew.
- The Letters to Characters worksheets (p. 99-101) can be written individually or with a partner. These can be displayed as a cute bulletin board.
- The Fun Cat Facts and Fun Turtle Facts (p. 103-106) can be used for informational writing about cats or turtles. These pages could easily be the springboard for a discussion about caring for pets and the writing of a “how-to” book on cat or turtle care.